Follow us on our journey to be the aroma of Christ in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia this summer.







Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Project 1 Women's Ministry

And we're back!  Sorry for the delay, folks.  We were experiencing some technical difficulties, but we seem to be back up and running.  If the internet holds for me, we'll have four blog posts today - two from Project 1 and two from Project 2.  Without further adieu, here they are! 

The women’s ministry team had some unique opportunities to serve low-income women in Addis Ababa by teaching them some marketable skills such as cooking and crafts. Here is Cori H.’s experience with women’s ministry.


From the time Amy K. [one of the project staff] told us about human trafficking in Ethiopia and the world, I knew I wanted to serve on the women’s team. She explained that many women lacked an education or the skills needed to support themselves. Many women choose prostitution or servitude in other countries so they can send money back home. When we signed up for ministry teams there was no doubt in my mind where I wanted to be. I hope to work with destitute women sometime during my life, and women’s ministry really excited me. This past week we taught cooking and crafts to former prostitutes and unemployed women. One of their dreams is to start a restaurant; we’ve bought them a stove and are giving them the cooking supplies at the end of the second project. I love cooking and helping them learn something I love. Today the women pulled out previous crafts we had taught them— beautiful rag rugs and paper beads. We also had them practice making peanut butter cookies. I find it really encouraging that the women enjoy and take seriously what we are trying to teach them.

The first women’s ministry we ever did involved visiting women with HIV/AIDS. I remember feeling burdened by the hopelessness and loneliness of their situation. But God also gave me a spirit of excitement and joy as I visited the women’s homes. I have a whole life to give to him and possibly to women like the ones I’ve met—if that’s His plan. I realize that in every part of my life, God has a way to use me to reach people. Whether I actually become a trauma surgeon, become a pilot, or finish college, my purpose in life is to serve and love Christ. I can’t wait for the rest of my life, and the opportunities waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to use the comments to relay messages with members of our team who may or may not be responsive to email. Please note, however, that our internet access is limited, which in turn limits response time.