Follow us on our journey to be the aroma of Christ in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia this summer.







Saturday, August 7, 2010

God’s Will is Always Greater Than Our Will

Written by Josephine A.

We have been doing ministry in Africa for several weeks, and God has continually guided our ministry.  He has constantly lifted us up in his hands and used us as vessels of his blessings to bless the women, children, and students of Addis Ababa.

The children are ages 5-13.  When we are with the children, we sing praise songs, share Bible stories, play games, share testimonies, and do crafts.  We bring joy, surprises, and God’s truth to them.  But we hadn’t had a chance to hear their stories or have deep conversations with them.  So I prayed to God about this – I shared my heart with God and asked him to prepare an opportunity for me to have this depth with the Ethiopian people to mutually encourage each others’ lives.


Friday morning we did children’s ministry at a local international church.  We had to look for another room because there was a prayer meeting in the room we planned to meet in.  While we were waiting, a woman came and talked to me.  At first we had normal conversation, and then I began to think that this was the person God has prepared for me.  We discussed that her parents are Catholic and none of her siblings were Christians.  When she was 20, somebody shared the gospel with her.  Then she shared the gospel with her family, and they all received Christ.  One year later, her sister got cancer, and her whole family and village prayed for here.  And now she is healed.  Now she serves at this church.

Her story greatly encouraged me.  Then I shared my testimony with her, about how when I was young, I didn’t have a real relationship with Jesus.  Then after I explained the transformation God did in my life, she very excitedly grabbed my arm and said “Yes! Yes! Praise the Lord!” I shared with her Job 42:5 – about seeing God with our own eyes.  She hugged me, again praising Jesus.  I was so excited that we both were able to encourage each other and have a deep conversation.  We then were able to start are VBS, and I had to leave, and I didn’t see her again.  I felt a little sad because I didn’t even know her name.  But I was thankful to God for preparing someone to encourage me and for exceeding my expectations.

Then on Sunday afternoon, we were walking down the road, and a woman got out of a bus and grabbed my arm.  At first, I thought she was excited because I am a foreigner, but she kept holding onto my arm and speaking excitedly.  Then I realized that it was the woman from the church who had encouraged me a few days before!  This amazing thing happened on the road – it we had been father up or back on the road, it wouldn’t have happened.  But God knew all of this.  We were able to continue our conversation, and I asked how I could pray for her.  I also found out her name – Genet, which means heaven. 

I am so thankful to God that he prepares each step of our way and answers our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to use the comments to relay messages with members of our team who may or may not be responsive to email. Please note, however, that our internet access is limited, which in turn limits response time.